Well, I'm much happier with this version! Using bought binding made it much easier. I wasn't intending to use this fabric for Lizzie, but I think it looks great on her. I used this fabric simply because I had some red bias binding, and wanted something to go with it! While sewing, I was thinking I would have preferred a hot pink binding, but love the end result with the red.
I think part of my problem with the last version was that the material I used had a very loose weave and didn't make crisp folds. So after that diagnosis, I'm on the look out for some floral print material similar in colours to the white and purple I used, but just in a tighter weave fabric that will hold a crease better.